Color : grey leather
- anthracite leather
- grey leather
- 1-3 working days
India and Sri Lanka.
With the world's first Fairtrade Cotton and GOTS certified MELA sneaker, we have managed to turn raw materials of natural origin into shoes without the addition of toxic substances.
MELAWEAR has thus created another product that continues our holistic and innovative sustainability claim. MELA sneakers are the perfect all-rounders: the robust organic cotton canvas makes the shoes particularly breathable. The sole made of natural rubber provides good cushioning and a soft and comfortable feel. At the same time, it gives the sneakers flexibility and slip resistance
During the intensive product development period, we made several trips to our producers and suppliers and were in constant exchange with certification bodies and laboratories in Germany, Italy, Sri Lanka and India. Just as high quality and sustainable as the Fairtrade Cotton certified organic cotton from India is the natural rubber from Sri Lanka, which is processed for the MELA sneakers with tools and fits from Italy. Over several stages, the flexibility, wearing comfort and slip resistance of the soles have been optimised. To ensure that our shoes are particularly durable, we have used water-based and GOTS-certified adhesives and integrated a 360° seam into the design. In this way, the MELA sneakers combine modern design with the highest quality for people and the environment.
Our leather sneaker is part of our essentials that we have in our assortment on a permanent basis. With our basic styles you can create an essential set of sustainable and timeless clothing.
If you like this style, then it is meant for you. We believe that everyone can wear our sneaker, regardless of gender stereotypes.
- Outer shoe made of robust and breathable organic cotton canvas and vegetable-tanned leather
- Inner lining made of durable organic cotton fabric
- Non-slip and flexible natural rubber sole
- Fit: Small. If in doubt, order the larger size.
- 100% organic cotton
- Additional materials: Natural rubber, Leather
- Free of toxic pollutants according to the GOTS standard
This leather sneaker is not machine washable. In order to enjoy our leather sneaker in the long term, please only clean it by hand. We recommend a GOTS-certified impregnation spray to optimize the water-repellence of the organic cotton canvas.
MELA shoes are triple certified according to Fairtrade Cotton, Global Organic Textile Standard (GOTS) and the Green Button. In our opinion, the social and ecological aspects of these standards complement each other perfectly, so that we can speak of holistically sustainable textiles with a clear conscience.
- With the Fairtrade Cotton standard, we ensure that social criteria are adhered to in the cultivation of the raw material. Particular importance is attached to fair wages for cotton farmers. With every MELA item you buy, you support Indian cotton cooperatives with a Fairtrade premium. MELA is also part of the new Fairtrade Textile Standard, which advocates living wages along the entire supply chain.
- The Global Organic Textile Standard (GOTS) ensures that only eco-friendly substances are used along the entire supply chain - from cotton cultivation to the dyeing of the fabrics - and that social standards are met. This is monitored by independent certification bodies.
- In addition, this fashion item is also certified according to the German government-run textile seal Green Button, which checks social and environmental criteria at both product and company level.
Our sneakers are made by our producers in India. Together with them and the German government, we are part of an innovative development project. The aim of the project is to build a supply chain for certified organic rubber for the textile industry - from rubber cultivation to the final product.
Factory employees are trained in areas such as chemical management, occupational health & safety, and energy & water management. The workers on the rubber plantations are instructed in the field of ecological agriculture and organic home gardens are created for and with the rubber tappers.
From rubber to cotton to the finished product, we can trace all ingredients and guarantee compliance with ecological and social standards along the entire supply chain. This makes the MELA sneaker unique in terms of sustainability.All our production steps take place in the countries where the raw materials have their origin. This helps to maximize local value and to shorten transportation routes.